This is one of my favorite meals because it’s definitely ok to have and its just so yummy you would think it’s bad for you!
4 oz. dry whole wheat macaroni pasta
4 tsp. extra virgin organic coconut oil
2 Tbsp. unbleached whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 1/4 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese
3 cups cooked chopped, boneless, chicken breast
4 cups steamed chopped broccoli
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions
- Melt oil in large saucepan over medium heat
- Add flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute or until brown
- Slowly whisk in almond milk; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 – 2 minutes, or until the mixture thickens and there are no lumps
- Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese; cook, whisking constantly, for 2-3 minutes, or until melted
- Add chicken, broccoli, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until heated through
- Mix in with cooked pasta
Yields about 2 cups per serving
You can add a few different variations to this recipe. You can mix up the type of cheese you are using. You can also use different veggies like green beans or asparagus. I always add in some green chile because I miss all of my spicy New Mexican food!
Tell me what you think!!